Eclectica Scrapbooks and Stamps (LSS) had it's annual Staff and Instructor Holiday Celebration/Dinner/Cookie Swap. Our "Dirty Santa" gift exchange was fun, but a bit too polite with only a few steals. Everyone ended up with a lovely gift in the end. As I promised, here is the recipe for the Cookies I brought. Enjoy!
Maple Walnut Shortbread dipped in Chocolate
1 cup butter (softened)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 egg yolk
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. maple flavor
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
1. Beat sugar and butter until smooth. Add 1/2 cup walnuts and egg yolk; beat until blended. Add flour, baking powder, salt and maple flavor. Beat on low speed until stiff cookie dough forms. Shape dough into a ball, wrap and place in fridge for about 45 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 350degrees F. Divide dough into 8 equal parts. On lightly floured surface, shape each part into a rope 12" long and
3/4" thick. Cut into 2" lengths; place about 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. I flattened centers slightly with one finger.
3. Bake for 16-18 minutes until edges begin to brown. Cool completely.
4. In a double boiler melt chocolate chips; stirring until smooth. In another small bowl place toasted chopped walnuts.
5. Dip one side of each cookie into melted chocolate then into walnuts. Place on sheets of parchment or waxed paper; let stand until set. (I put mine in the fridge.)
Don't ask for the calorie and fat count...'cause you just don't want to know!
All packaged and ready for the swap...