Thursday, January 3, 2008

Ode to my Southern Friends



I heard my friend say, in a most shocked voice, "... but you have to have black-eyed peas and cornbread on New Years Day! It's a Southern tradition!" So before our New Year's Day in the woods I put a crock pot on with soaked black-eyed peas, onion, celery, and ham. That may not be the way all the Southerns do it, but them were some mighty good peas, ya'll! And the cornbread wudent bad neither! I'm sure we ate enough that this otta be one heck of a lucky year!





Being the good little wife that I am, I let Bob talk me into a trip to his hunting property while those peas were simmering. A long walk in the woods on a crisp winter day with no spray paint fumes tainting the air was a very welcomed distraction from the projects I've been working so hard on. What I found most distracting in a very good way, was that man of mine. Looking fine in his Levis and his new camo jacket, it struck me how lucky I already am. We've been married 30 years this coming April (I can't believe its been that long...only old people are married that long, right? Must of miss counted!) Whether in his camo or the suit and tie he wears to work he still gives me butterflies...no, it doesn't take peas...I've been blessed all along.

1 comment:

Michelle W said...

Glad to hear the you still get butterflies after 30 years!!!!